Carrot, Chickpea, and Farro Salad with Thyme RecipeCarrot, Chickpea, and Farro Salad with Thyme
This nutritious and filling dish can be eaten alone as a vegetarian meal, but it also serves as a delicious side dish for fish or poultry. Farro, a type of whole wheat, cooks up with a nutty flavor and chewy texture that goes well with the firm, sweet carrots and soft, protein-rich chickpeas.
Tips for the cook: This dish can easily be doubled if you need to feed a crowd. Any of your favorite whole grains can be substituted for the farro. Try wheat berries, quinoa, or sorghum. You can also double the carrots and chickpeas and leave out the farro for a grain-free version.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of peeled and sliced carrots
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 can (15 oz.) low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups cooked farro
- 1 tbsp chopped chives for garnish
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet (one that has a lid) over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the carrots and cook for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to brown.
- Add the stock or water and place the lid on the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and let cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring only occasionally, until the carrots reach your desired tenderness.
- Stir in the thyme and chickpeas. Cook for 1 more minute. Add the salt and pepper. Stir in the farro.
- Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and garnish with chives.