Baked Eggplant and Tomato Parmesan RecipeBaked Eggplant and Tomato Parmesan
This twist on a favorite Italian dish will give you all the flavor without the calories of the original. It’s an ideal recipe for using up summer eggplant and tomatoes, and it’s hearty enough to satisfy any comfort food craving.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
- 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp skim milk
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled if skin is tough
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 3 medium tomatoes
- ¾ cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, garlic powder, and black pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites and milk.
- Cut the eggplant into ½ inch thick slices. Dip each slice in the egg whites and then into the bread crumbs. Roll in the bread crumbs to coat. Place each piece cut-side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Increase the heat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a deep, 8 inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil. Transfer the eggplant slices to the baking dish. Pour the marinara over the eggplant.
- Cut the tomatoes into ½ inch thick slices. Dip each slice in the egg whites and then into the bread crumbs to coat. Place the tomato slices on top of the eggplant and marinara.
- Sprinkle the remaining seasoned bread crumbs over the tomatoes. Next, evenly sprinkle on the cheese. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and begins to brown. Serve warm.