Tex Mex Chicken Pineapple Quesadilla RecipeTex Mex Chicken Pineapple Quesadilla
This quesadilla is packed with vegetables and lean protein. It has fewer calories and only 8 grams of fat versus the 13-27 grams in store-bought versions. It is a great way to use leftover roasted chicken and makes a good lunch or snack to fulfill a Mexican food craving.
Healthy tip: Choose a whole wheat tortilla for added fiber, but be sure to check the sodium on the nutrition label. Some tortillas contain as many as 500 milligrams each! Several varieties can be found with 150 to 300 milligrams.
Yield: 1 serving
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp diced onion
- 2 tbsp diced green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp diced red bell pepper
- 1 ½ oz. cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 2 tbsp diced fresh pineapple
- 1 tsp barbecue sauce
- 1 large whole wheat tortilla
- 2 tbsp shredded monterey jack cheese
- Spray a large skillet with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray. Heat on medium-high and add the onion and bell peppers. Cook for 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken and cook for 1 minute. Add the pineapple and cook for another minute, or until all ingredients are heated. Stir in the barbecue sauce and remove from heat.
- Transfer the vegetables and chicken to a bowl. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the tortilla. Cook for 30 seconds, or until warm.
- Spread the vegetable and chicken filling evenly over one half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Fold the top half of the tortilla over the filling and press gently with a spatula. Cook for 30 to 60 more seconds (flipping the quesadilla once, if desired) until the cheese is melted. Serve warm.