Curry Chickpea and Lentil Stew RecipeCurry Chickpea and Lentil Stew
Healthy comfort food is the perfect solution for a dreary day. This stew is easy to make and it’s packed with complex carbohydrates, protein, and fiber. Pair it with sauteed greens or a fresh salad for a filling lunch or dinner.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added, diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry green lentils, cooked according to package directions
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet or soup pot over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, cook 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook 1 to 2 more minute.
- Stir in the cooked lentils, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Serve warm.
Nutrition information for 1/4 recipe: Calories 378; Total Fat 8.2 g; Saturated Fat 3.3 g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 356 mg; Carbohydrate 58.7 g; Fiber 15.4 g; Sugar 10.6 g; Protein 20.6 g