Spicy Basil Lemon Gazpacho RecipeSpicy Basil Lemon Gazpacho
Gazpacho is loaded with nutritious vegetables, and because it is served cold, none of the valuable nutrients are not lost through heating. It’s a quick and easy dinner to prep before you head out the door, and it’s ideal for a healthy lunch to pack with you. This version is flavored with lemon, and it has a hint of spicy heat from your favorite hot sauce.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Refrigeration time: 1 hour
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 10 to 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 6 small fresh basil leaves
- Place the tomatoes, cucumber, green and red bell pepper, basil, garlic and shallots in the bowl of a food processor. Process on high for 10 seconds.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped. Transfer the soup to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with 1 teaspoon of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and a small basil leaf before serving.
Nutrition information for 1 serving (about 1 cup): Calories 58; Total Fat 1.4 g; Saturated Fat 0.6 g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 3 mg; Sodium 343 mg; Carbohydrate 10.2 g; Fiber 1.6 g; Sugar 5.6 g; Protein 1.6 g