Vegetarian Barbecue Lentil Sliders RecipeVegetarian Barbecue Lentil Sliders
These hearty sliders are a great meatless option to have on hand for guests during the big game. They are cooked in a sweet and tangy, homemade barbecue sauce that helps you control the added sugar and sodium.
Yield: 10 sliders
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup dry green lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne chili powder
- 10 slider buns, toasted
Topping options: red onion, dill pickles, chopped cabbage
- Place the lentils and water in a medium saucepan. Heat to a boil on high, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the lentils are soft and the water has been absorbed.
- While the lentils are cooking, work on the sauce. In a medium, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the tomato sauce, molasses, honey, mustard, and vinegar. Stir in the paprika, salt, black pepper, and chili powder. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once the lentils are cooked, transfer them to the skillet. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of lentils on each slider bun and serve warm.