Mushroom Marinara Sandwiches RecipeMushroom Marinara Sandwiches
Research shows that mushrooms contain specific dietary fibers that are associated with lowering cholesterol while also providing protein and vitamins. Exotic varieties tend to get the attention for their nutrients, but white button mushrooms provide many of the same health benefits. Adding mushrooms to a hearty sandwich like this one is a nutritious way to lighten up a recipe and still get the filling meal you crave.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste, without salt
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 16 to 18 white button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 4 whole wheat sandwich buns
- ½ cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high, and then add the garlic and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Next add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, basil, and oregano. Cook for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes and onions are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the mushrooms. Cook about 2 minutes, just until the mushrooms begin to darken and shrink. Stir in the salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat your broiler to high and broil the sandwich buns cut-side up on a baking sheet. Remove after 1 to 2 minutes when they are slightly browned. Remove the top portion of the buns from the baking sheet and set aside.
- Top each bottom bun with about ¾ cup of the mushroom mixture and then top with 2 tablespoons of cheese. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, transfer the bottom bun to a plate. Place the top portion of the bun on the sandwich and serve warm.
Nutrition information for sandwich: Calories 217; Total Fat 6.7 g; Saturated Fat 1.4 g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 416 mg; Carbohydrate 34.6 g; Fiber 6.9 g; Sugars 10.4 g; Protein 9.9 g