Summer Corn Salad with Thyme RecipeSummer Corn Salad with Thyme
This recipe provides a healthy option for your next picnic or potluck. It uses fresh, seasonal ingredients and a small amount of olive oil and fresh herbs for flavor without unhealthy fat and excess calories. The corn is cooked with onion to add sweetness and then mixed with fresh bell pepper and tomato for bright flavor and a little crunch.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- Kernels from 4 ears of corn
- 1 ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add the garlic and onion. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the corn kernels and cook about 3 more minutes, until the onions begin to soften. Stir in the thyme leaves and cook about 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the bell pepper and tomatoes. Stir in the cooked corn, garlic and onion. Add the salt and pepper and toss to mix all ingredients. Serve room temperature or cold.
Nutrition information for 1 serving: Calories 132; Total Fat 3.2 g; Saturated Fat 0.6 g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 94 mg; Carbohydrate 25.7 g; Fiber 4.3 g; Sugar 2.9 g; Protein 3.7 g