Blueberry Almond French Toast RecipeBlueberry Almond French Toast
Healthy eating doesn’t mean you have to cut out breakfast favorites. Making French toast, waffles, and pancakes using whole grains reduces your intake of refined carbohydrates and gives you a boost of dietary fiber. Fresh fruit makes a delicious substitution for high-sugar toppings like syrup.
Yield: 2 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 2/3 cups fresh blueberries
- In a large shallow pan, whisk together the egg, egg white, milk, honey, and cinnamon. Place the almond meal in a separate shallow bowl.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-high. Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, turning to coat. Next, dip it into the almond meal to lightly coat. Alternatively, you can sprinkle the almond meal over the egg-dipped bread slices.
- Place the bread slices in the skillet and cook about 2 minutes on each side, until the French toast is browned.
- Place two slices on each serving plate and top with 1/3 cup of blueberries.
Nutrition information for 1 serving: Calories 318; Total Fat 14.1 g; Saturated Fat 1.2 g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 90 mg; Sodium 292 mg; Carbohydrate 38.5 g; Fiber 7.3 g; Sugar 11.4 g; Protein 17 g