Fruit and Nut Breakfast Quinoa RecipeFruit and Nut Breakfast Quinoa
Eating quinoa for breakfast is a great way to get plant-based protein and fiber while enjoying the slight sweetness associated with cereals. This hearty meal will fill you up and power you through the mid-morning munchies.
Yield: 1 serving
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped unsalted pecans
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Heat a small saucepan on medium-high and add the quinoa. Toss the grains in the pan for 1 minute to lightly toast them. Add ½ cup water and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the apricots, cranberries, pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition information: Calories 283; Total Fat 6.3 g; Saturated Fat 0.3 g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 10 mg; Carbohydrate 50.7g; Fiber 5.6 g; Sugar 18.1 g; Protein 5.9 g