Homemade black bean soup is a healthy, filling meal that is loaded with protein and fiber. This recipe serves three, but it can easily be doubled for extra lunches throughout the week.
Yield: 3 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 15-ounce can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- 1 ½ cups low sodium vegetable stock or broth
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, Greek yogurt, sour cream, chopped pickled jalapeños
- Heat the oil in a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrot and onion. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the vegetables to a blender. Add ½ of the black beans, the salsa, and the vegetable stock. Cover with the lid and puree until smooth.
- Pour the pureed soup back into the pot and turn to medium heat. Add the remaining whole beans, cumin, garlic powder, and pepper. Taste the soup and add salt, if desired.
- Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until all ingredients are warmed through. Serve with optional toppings, if desired.