Oatmeal provides dietary fiber that helps to reduce cholesterol. Making your own oatmeal with rolled oats takes just a few minutes, and it allows you to avoid the instant versions that can be full of artificial flavorings, preservatives, and refined sugar.
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ medium banana, mashed
- 2 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp raw chopped walnuts
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the oats and reduce the heat so the oatmeal comes to a simmer. Stir occasionally while it cooks for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the banana and honey. Cook for 2 more minutes or until the oats are tender and thickened. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix in the walnuts before serving, or serve them sprinkled over the top.