When you don’t feel like exercising, remember that even as little as 10 minutes of activity is better than skipping your workout altogether. Try a combination of these quick, effective exercises that require no equipment.
Rotating Jump Squats
Jump squats work the large muscles of the lower body to increase the calories burned. The jumping movement increases your heart rate to improve cardiovascular health, and the rotation encourages balanced muscle development.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, and sit into a squat as if you were sitting back into a chair.
- As you return to the starting position, jump into the air. Do 2 jump squats in this direction.
- On the second, as you jump turn 90 degrees to your right and land facing the right side of the room. Do 2 jump squats, jump back to the center and then repeat on the left.
- Continue rotating your direction every two squats.
Many people shy away from burpees because some versions are too challenging. There are easy ways to modify this exercise and still work your upper body, core, and improve cardiovascular fitness.
- Bend down and place both hands on the floor, just above your toes. Move into a plank position by stepping one foot back at a time.
- Hold here, or drop to your knees and do one modified-pushup. Raise back into plank position.
- Jump both feet forward to meet your hands, or step one foot forward at a time.
- Return to standing and repeat.
Planks are an easy way to add core work to a quick exercise routine.
- Get into plank position on your hands and toes so that your body is in a straight line from head to heels. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Shift the weight to your right hand. Turn to face the left as you roll onto the outside of your right foot. Extend the left arm into the air. Hold the side plank for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the forward plank, and then perform the side plank on the other side.
Plank jacks work your core and upper body while the rapid movement of the lower body increases your heart rate for a cardio workout.
- Hold the plank position on your hands and toes. Jump both feet out to the sides as if you were doing a jumping jack.
- Jump both feet back to the center. Continue the jacks, jumping out and in quickly.
- To decrease the intensity, step one foot out and back in at a time.