This whole grain autumn-inspired cake uses almond meal and Greek yogurt to boost the protein. It can be eaten for breakfast, as a quick snack, or as a light dessert. Almond meal can be found in the health food section of your supermarket or online. It is sometimes called almond flour.
Tips for the cook: If you can’t find almond meal, you can make your own by grinding blanched almonds in the food processor until they turn into a fine powder.
Yield: 12 slices
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ½ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and diced
- ½ small apple sliced for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Stir in the Greek yogurt until smooth.
- Add the almond extract, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Stir just until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the flour and almond meal and stir until combined. Stir in the diced apple.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Top with apple slices, if using.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edges are browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool at least 15 minutes, cut into slices and serve.