Lentils are full of protein and fiber. They can be served as a side dish or made into a soup or stew. Prepare lentils in the slow cooker for healthy meals with only ten minutes of preparation time.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
- 2 cups brown lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp non-fat half-and-half or light coconut milk (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh herbs for garnish
- Place the lentils and onion in the bowl of a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker. Pour in the water. Stir in the curry powder and paprika.
- Cover with the lid and cook on high for 3 hours until the lentils are tender. Pour in the half and half or coconut milk, if using. Stir in the salt and black pepper. Serve warm, sprinkled with fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley.