Grilling romaine lettuce is a great way to make summer salads more creative while keeping them nutritious and low in calories. This is a quick and easy side dish you can add to the menu any time you are grilling.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Grilling time: 5 minutes
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise or low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp fine ground sea salt
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- Optional toppings: croutons, shaved Parmesan cheese
- Add the lemon juice, yogurt and mayonnaise to the cup of a single-serving blender or small food processor. Pulse for 10 to 15 seconds until blended. Add the dill, chives, garlic powder and salt. Pulse again until all ingredients are mixed together into a smooth dressing.
- Place the head of lettuce on a grill that has been heated to 375 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Use tongs to constantly flip the lettuce to get even wilting on all sides. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes, until the outer leaves have wilted and start to show signs of blackening.
- Transfer the head of lettuce to a cutting board. Remove the stem end and chop the leaves into bite-size pieces. The outer leaves will be warm and wilted and the inner leaves will still be crisp and cool.
- Put the lettuce in a large bowl. Pour in the dressing and toss with tongs until all the lettuce is evenly coated in dressing. Serve with croutons and shaved Parmesan, if desired.