Deviled eggs are a staple for spring parties and picnics, but they are often high in unhealthy fat, cholesterol, and sodium. This version uses fewer egg yolks and adds non-fat yogurt to reduce the saturated fat and cholesterol. Herbs and spices add flavor to the filling without excess salt.
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 4 large, hard-boiled eggs
- ¼ cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp chopped fresh chives + plus extra for garnish
- ½ tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/8 tsp hot or sweet smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp fine ground sea salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Carefully cut the hard-boiled eggs in half. Gently remove the yolks. Place two of yolks in a small bowl and discard the other two. Place the egg whites, cut-side up on a serving plate.
- Add the yogurt, chives, dill, paprika, salt, and pepper to the two egg yolks. Use a fork to smash the yolks and stir all ingredients. Stir for about 30 seconds, until smooth and all ingredients are blended.
- Transfer the filling to a pastry bag with a star tip, or to a zip lock bag with the bottom corner cut off. Pipe an equal amount of filling into each egg where the yolk was held. Sprinkle with any remaining chives and serve.