Pumpkin puree and rich cocoa powder reduce the need for excess saturated fat and sugar in these bars. Dense and fudgy, they make a decadent treat without the extra calories.
Serving Size 1 serving
Yield: 12 bars
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp fine ground sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a small baking dish or loaf pan (about 9 x 6 inches) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the pumpkin and brown sugar. Stir in the egg until fully incorporated. Add in the vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Pour in the cocoa powder and stir well, until no clumps remain. Stir in the flour and then fold in the milk.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the bars are firm. They will have a tender, fudgy center that resembles a firm pumpkin pie.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting to serve.