Gazpacho is loaded with nutritious vegetables, and because it is served cold, none of the valuable nutrients are lost through heating. It’s a quick and easy dinner to prep before you head out the door, and it’s ideal for a healthy lunch to pack with you. This version is flavored with lemon, and it has a hint of spicy heat from your favorite hot sauce.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Refrigeration time: 1 hour
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 10 to 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 6 small fresh basil leaves
- Place the tomatoes, cucumber, green and red bell pepper, basil, garlic and shallots in the bowl of a food processor. Process on high for 10 seconds.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped. Transfer the soup to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with 1 teaspoon of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and a small basil leaf before serving.