These stuffed mushrooms make a quick dinner option on a busy weeknight. They are loaded with a rich and hearty flavor that even meat lovers will enjoy. Add a side of whole wheat pasta or a salad to complete this healthy meal.
Yield: 2 servings
Preparation time: 7 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups packed, fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp chopped black olives
- 1 cup marinara sauce (low sodium)
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, wiped clean
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, heat a ½ tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 5 minutes. Stir in the black olives and marinara. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more, until all ingredients are heated.
- Remove the stem from the mushroom cap and use a spoon to gently scrape out the gills to create a cup for your filling. Use the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to coat each mushroom cap and the bottom of a 7 x 11 inch baking dish.
- Place the mushroom caps gill-side up in the baking dish and fill each with half of the spinach and marinara sauce. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese over each mushroom.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender. Let sit 2 to 3 minutes before serving.