Pairing whole wheat pasta with white beans is a delicious, vegetarian option for boosting protein and fiber. This recipe also incorporates vitamin-rich dark leafy greens and immune boosting mushrooms for a quick and healthy meal.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 - 10 white button mushrooms, chopped
- 4 leaves of kale, stems removed, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp smoked hot paprika
- 1 can (15 oz.) low sodium white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz. whole wheat linguine, cooked per package instructions
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and the kale. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Until the vegetables soften and begin to brown.
- Stir in the basil, oregano, salt, and paprika. Cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the beans and cook, just until heated through, about 30 more seconds.
- To serve, place one cup of cooked pasta on each plate and top with ¼ of the beans.