These chocolate muffins are made with non-fat yogurt and milk to reduce saturated fat and cholesterol. Whole grain pastry flour also adds fiber. You can make a batch over the weekend for a quick breakfast all week long.
Yield: 10 muffins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine ground sea salt
- ¾ cup non-fat milk (any variety)
- ¼ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 10 slots in a standard 12-muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and yogurt. Whisk in the egg, and then the sugar. Add the vanilla.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring just until all ingredients are combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the 10 muffin slots about ¾ full of batter. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.