This recipe is egg-free and uses olive oil to reduce saturated fat and cholesterol. Whole wheat flour and zucchini add dietary fiber. Enjoy a slice with your morning coffee or tea, or serve it as a healthy summer dessert.
Yield: 10 slices
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray an 8.5-by-4.5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the milk, olive oil, and sugar for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined and a batter forms. Fold in the zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. If using the nuts, sprinkle them over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing.