These healthy grain bowls are loaded with protein and dietary fiber. Cauliflower and spinach add vitamins and disease fighting antioxidants. Make them over the weekend and store in separate containers for on-the-go lunches during the week.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 5 ½ cups water
- 1 cup dry wheat berries
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz. bag cauliflower rice, defrosted if frozen*
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp fine ground sea salt
- 2 tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the wheat berries. Reduce the heat to simmer. Partially cover with a lid and cook 45 to 50 minutes, until tender, but still slightly chewy. Drain any remaining liquid.
- In a separate medium saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil. Stir in the lentils. Reduce the heat to simmer. Partially cover with a lid and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
- While the grains and lentils cook, prepare the vegetables. Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes, until tender and any liquid has evaporated. Add a ½ tablespoon of olive oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes, until the spinach begins to wilt. Stir ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder into the cauliflower and the remaining ¼ teaspoon into the spinach.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, curry powder and sea salt.
- In each of 4 serving bowls, arrange ¼ of the wheat berries, lentils, cauliflower and spinach. Drizzle each with ¼ of the orange curry dressing. Sprinkle each bowl with ½ tablespoon of pumpkin seeds and serve.
*If you can’t find cauliflower rice at your supermarket, you can make it by grating 1 large head of cauliflower by hand or in a food processor fitted with the grating attachment.