These individual vegetarian lasagnas are great for a special occasion. Preparing lasagna in single servings allows you to use more nutrient-rich sauce and less high-calorie cheese. The spinach increases vegetable intake, and the black beans make it a hearty meal while adding protein and extra fiber.
Yield: 2 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 ¾ cups low-sodium tomato sauce (about a 15 oz. can)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp fine ground sea salt
- 3 sheets dry, oven ready, lasagna noodles (7 x 3.25 inch sheets)
- 1 cup no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray two single serve ramekins or casserole dishes (about 4 x 5 inches in size) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the spinach, and cook 1 more minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the tomato sauce. Stir in the basil, oregano, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat. Taste the sauce, and add the salt a little at time until it reaches your taste preferences.
- To make a lasagna, spoon about 1 tablespoon of the sauce into one of the baking dishes. You will need 3 noodles for each lasagna, so break the 3 sheets into 6 pieces that will fit into your baking dishes. Top the sauce with a piece of noodle.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of sauce over the noodle, and top with ¼ cup of black beans. Place another noodle piece on top of the beans, and add 3 more tablespoons of sauce. Next, layer on another ¼ cup of beans. Add the final noodle, and finish with 3 more tablespoons of sauce. Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Repeat the same process for the second lasagna.
- Loosely cover each dish with aluminum foil, and place them on a baking sheet. Bake covered for 30 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Remove the foil, and bake for another 5 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.